My Broken Ankle Journey - A Recovery Timeline

 Day 1: OMG!! I Fell and Broke My Ankle!

You never know what's coming. Your life can completely change in a second and that happened to me on June 4, 2022.

I was playing a fun doubles tennis match. I wasn't chasing down some great shot at a full run. Nope! I was just moving to hit a garden-variety backhand. My legs somehow got tangled and I fell in slow motion. My body crumpled down onto my left leg and the next thing I know I am looking at a very seriously dislocated foot. My leg was pointing straight forward and my foot was facing the opposite direction. I wasn't actually thinking at all at this point. My brain was acting all on its own. My brain looked at that foot and said, "This is so wrong! I must fix it immediately!" So, what did my brain do? It decided to push the dislocation back into place. The foot was probably dislocated for 4-5 seconds before I pushed it back into place. When I tell this story, everyone thinks it was such a badass thig to do. It wasn't. It was pure instinct. I have read on other websites that this was probably the wrong thing to do. However, it was done before rational thought even had a chance to weigh in on the subject. Did pushing it back in make it worse? We will never know.

The weirdest thing about the accident? I felt absolutely no pain. Once I was on the ground, I didn't move at all. My ankle immediately began to swell and my friends quickly brought me big bags of ice to cover the ankle. I assumed that the adrenaline from the accident was covering the pain and I would start to feel the agony at any moment. It never happened. 

As you can see by the picture, I was loaded on to a flatbed cart that someone found in our club's gardening shed. I don't know how I would have gotten out of there without it. I was, of course, playing on the furthest court from the parking lot. I was wheeled out past all of the other courts like a queen on a float and gave everyone my best float queen wave.


 


I had called my husband right after the accident since I knew this was a serious injury. He and some other friends loaded me into the back of his car and we headed off to UCLA Health Urgent Care. I am so glad we went with urgent care instead of the ER. I was in to see the doctor within 10 minutes of entering the UCLA Health Urgent Care facility. I have no idea how long I would have had to wait at a hospital ER. X-rays were immediately taken and it was confirmed that I had broken my ankle. Specifically: A comminuted and displaced fracture of the distal fibula and a minimally displaced fracture of the posterior malleolus. Yikes!! The urgent care doctor said I would probably need surgery and I should get to an orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible.



Never get hurt on a weekend! My injury occurred Saturday morning at 8:00 am. Orthopedic offices aren't open until Monday morning, so you have to tough out the 48 hours. Luckily, I still was in no pain. The urgent care facility didn't even need to give me a prescription for pain. The only discomfort I felt was from the swelling. I was sent home in a boot ($400 and they actually billed my insurance company for $1500. Said boot can be found on Amazon for $50) and on crutches. I have never been injured before and those crutches scared the crap out of me. How more people don't end up with additional broken bones from trying to use crutches is beyond me!

Once I was at home and settled on my couch with my ankle elevated, the Google searching began. How was I going to survive this? I am a very active person and the thought of losing my life for the next six months was really depressing. Attitude is everything and I needed to stay positive. As I write this 23 days later, I have only had one bout with dejection at about 10 days in. I have an amazing husband and friends who have been there for me, helping me and cheering me up when needed.

Until you are hurt, you don't realize all of the little things that seemed so effortless just hours before. Walking to the kitchen, opening the refrigerator, going to the bathroom. The reason I am writing this blog is to give others a perspective on what I am going through and how I cope. 

Getting around safely is the most important thing I can think of when dealing with a broken ankle. As I said earlier, crutches scare me. One of my neighbors has had foot surgery and she immediately lent me her knee scooter until mine could arrive from Amazon. Her ScooterThe Scooter I bought. The basket was an extra purchase for my scooter, but I bought the scooter based on color -- UCLA!



I was told I had to keep the boot on 24 hours a day. How was I going to sleep? To this day I have trouble getting comfortable enough to sleep. I use a Fitbit to track my exercise and sleep and those sleep scores have not been good at all. But what the heck! I have to spend all of my time laying down anyway, so it's all good, I guess.

Day 2 - Day 5: Waiting for the Surgeon Appointment

Picking a surgeon to perform your surgery is a daunting experience. I've never had an injury, let alone major surgery on an arm or leg. This surgery could affect me for the rest of my life if it goes wrong. Of course all of my friends came to my rescue. I received the name of the same surgeon from 7 different friends who don't even know each other. Most of these recommendations came in the form of capital letters. Now, that's an endorsement!

I called the surgeon's office first thing Monday morning and was able to secure an appointment for Thursday. This would be 6 days into my injury, so obviously the surgeon's office didn't think I needed to see the surgeon ASAP. What felt like an emergency to me wasn't to them. I decided I would wait 4 more days in order to see the guy who would get me walking again.

While I waited for this appointment, my tennis friends pitched in and signed me up for Home Chef, a meal delivery service. You do need to cook the meals (my husband does this), but the food is easy to prepare and tastes great. I am now a major burden to my husband, so anything I can do to make it easier for him is a win.



The first couple of days, I took washcloth baths, but I really needed a shower. I felt gross! Amazon to the rescue again. I bought this Shower Chair and borrowed a plastic cast protector from my neighbor. I don't recommend trying to get in and out of the shower by yourself. If you live alone, get a friend to come over and help. We have a walk in shower and it is still a challenge!


R.I.C.E. has become my daily existence. I move from the bed to the couch and back again. My foot is propped up except when I am scootering around the house. I ice the ankle 2-3 times a day and the swelling is going down somewhat. The boot is snug but not terribly uncomfortable except when I'm trying to go to sleep. Still absolutely zero pain, but then I have not put an ounce of weight on it since my fall.

My friends are wonderful and bring me treats and flowers!




Day 6: The Surgeon Appointment

Finally, the appointment with the surgeon. In my mind, I think that my recovery can't even begin to start until after the surgery so I am impatient to get the show on the road. It's been 6 days since the injury and I want to know my fate. How long until I can walk, play tennis? 

I live in Southern California and we are so lucky to have access to world-class healthcare within 15 minutes of home. Going to the surgeon will be my first big trip out of the house. It feels weird to be in a car, but this is great for my sanity.

The surgeon is everything that has been promised. He schedules me for surgery for June 14th and says there will be plates and screws placed in my ankle. Sounds painful, but I know I have no options after seeing the x-rays.



At the appointment, I get another $400 boot that goes up further on my leg. The surgeon tells me I will need both boots during my recovery, but it's still hard to swallow.

I also need to get a COVID test and CT Scan to help the surgeon prepare for the operation. I have never had COVID that I know of, but I never get sick, so what if I had COVID and my surgery had to be postponed? Would my ankle recovery suffer? It was a tough wait, but I came back negative and my surgery could proceed as scheduled.



Another "perk" of a broken ankle is the Handicapped Parking placard. I don't plan to use it much - I am fine scootering from out in the regular parking lot, but it will be nice to have as a backup.

Day 11: The Surgery

The surgery is called Ankle Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF). You can Google so many explanations and images of this surgery as it is very common. It just means that plates and screws are inserted into your ankle to stabilize it so that the bones will heal properly.

My surgery was scheduled for 5:00 PM, so I had to fast all day. It wasn't too bad since I certainly wasn't getting any exercise to build up an appetite. My surgeon told me I could not exercise until 2 weeks after the surgery. I could feel my muscles atrophying when he told me that. My right leg and my upper body were getting a little workout just getting me around the house, but I wanted to maintain fitness throughout this ordeal.

The staff at the hospital was great, but just navigating all of the health insurance issues was a pain. I know I will be dealing with the expenses for a long time.

The biggest problem with a hospital visit is that you never know how much anything is going to cost and whether or not your insurance will cover it. Right before I was to be wheeled into the Operating Room, the anesthesiologist came in to explain his piece. He asked me if I wanted an extra "procedure" that would block the pain in my leg for the first 12-24 hours. Now, obviously I am in a very vulnerable position here and this guy is asking me to make a decision that could cost me thousands of dollars if it's not covered. I declined the procedure and later found it would have cost $1500. The narcotics I was given cost me $1. This was obviously a money-grab and it really makes me mad to this day.


I woke up to this new splint on my lower leg. According to the surgeon, it is a half cast wrapped with bandages. It will come off at the 2-week post surgery appointment and will be replaced by a boot.

The immediate recovery from the surgery was pretty straight-forward. I took the narcotics for the first 36 hours and then went straight to Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Moderate discomfort, but still no pain. I have to stay in a reclining position 80% of the time with my ankle above my heart. Toes above Nose! 

I have seen other blogs people have written about their experience. What surprises me the most is how active some of them are immediately after the break and surgery. Major trips, concerts, etc. Some of these people are then back in for more surgery. I will do whatever it takes to make this a successful process and so I have watched so much Netlix, Hulu, HBOMax, Disney, etc. I have all of the services!

I was only able to make it through a couple of episodes (too gruesome!), but if you want to feel better knowing that others have it much worse than you do, try My Feet Are Killing Me, a reality show about foot and ankle surgeries.

Day 23: First Post-Op Appointment

It has been 13 days since the surgery and today the stitches are coming out and I finally get to see the hardware inside my ankle. They took some X-rays when I got to the office and I assume they will probably do this for the next couple of appointments just to make sure the ankle bones are healing properly.

There are 12 screws holding my ankle together and the 2 long screws holding the fibula and tibia are going to have to come out at the 3-month mark. Not everyone needs their hardware removed, but because I play so much tennis, my doctor feels I will have more success with movement once the tendons and ligaments heal and the big screws are removed.



The scars are not as bad as I expected which is something, I guess. I can shower immediately without worrying about covering them up. 




This next picture is the most gruesome for me to look at. I can look at screws and scars without cringing but looking at the muscle atrophy on my calf from just 23 days is shocking.


I don't start physical therapy until 6 weeks post-op, but I can have the boot off for 15 minutes 3 times a day to move my foot around. I can barely move the foot an inch in any direction. I have no pain at all when I try to move my foot, but I can tell this is going to be a long road.

When I had my surgery, my doctor told me not to exercise until the 2-week mark. Now that I am there, I am going to slowly start getting back in shape. Probably not a lot I can do for the calf yet, but the rest of me needs some work. I found this video on YouTube on how to work on your lower body while wearing a boot. Just being able to exercise will hopefully help me feel a little more normal.

The next 4 weeks are non-weight bearing, so my knee scooter will be getting a workout. I still have to wear the boot at night while sleeping. Not too thrilled about that, but the boot is easier to sleep with than the splint was.


Day 52: 6 Week Post-Op 

Today I had my 6 week post-op appointment with my surgeon. I had more X-rays taken and everything looks good. My scars are healing nicely.


I do have to have all the screws removed in September which is another surgery, but the surgeon says it is just a 2-week recovery. 

I can now put some weight on my foot and I have moved from the scooter to a walker. I am also allowed to sleep without the boot on - best news ever!!

I start PT in a couple of days and since I am fairly athletic, the transition to fully walking without a boot will happen in 3-4 weeks.

So what have the last 4 weeks been like? Monotonous!! I rarely leave the house because it is such a big production to get down the steps and into the car with a scooter. Luckily, I work from home and have been able to sit at my desk and mostly work full-time. I have been able to catch up on my reading and a lot of TV.

I went on vacation to a local resort for a week and it was stressful and exhausting. While the facility had lots of ramps, the surfaces were very uneven and I crept along on my scooter, afraid of tipping over. I'm sure I will spend the rest of my life looking at how I would navigate an area on my scooter. Luckily, my husband and kids were there to spot me through it all.

Day 56: 8 Weeks After the Fall

Someone recently told me how quickly the time has gone since I broke my ankle. Easy for them to say! I have been treating it like the pandemic lockdown - just get through one day at a time. There is finally real light at the end of tunnel.

I went to my first physical therapy appointment this week and my physical therapist gave me a bunch of exercises to do every day. After spending 8 weeks doing everything I could to not put weight on my foot, it is rather strange to actually try to put weight on it.

Yesterday, I was trying to clean up a room in my house. I was on my walker and without realizing it, I began to put full weight on my leg. I felt no pain or pressure. I realized that I could probably walk normally using the walker and I did! I bought a leg equalizer shoe attachment to even up the right foot with the boot. I am now walking all over the house with my walker. 

I am well on my way to real walking!!

Day 58: Standing with Full Weight

 I think the milestones are going to come pretty quickly now.

Today I stood barefoot in my walker with full weight on both feet with no issues. 

I have been having back muscle issues with the lack of balance between my two sides. It felt so good to stand straight and just stretch upward.

I am walking with my boot with only light pressure on my walker. I could probably walk without the walker, but I will wait to see what my physical therapist has to say tomorrow.

Day 59: Walking with a Cane

Today I started walking with a cane. I found that I wasn't putting much weight on the walker in the last couple of days, so I took a few steps with the cane and felt no pain or pressure. I have never used a cane before and I highly recommend this video for newbies. 

This is the point where I have reclaimed my life for the most part. I am completely mobile and can now drive by myself - no one needs to get my scooter out of the car. I drove myself to PT this morning with my husband in the car as backup. It was the first time I had driven in 2 months. I can now resume my regular non-sporting life. 

I have finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel!

Day 61: Walking Without the Boot

Today at PT, I was given the okay to walk around my house without the cane and boot. I have mostly been walking without the cane anyway. My ankle is a little stiff first thing in the morning and I rely on the cane a little more.

My PT says that my ankle will loosen up even more without the boot. I have good dorsiflexion but my plantar flexion is nowhere near normal.

I put on a pair of running shoes and my left foot fit in the shoe comfortably. I was worried that my left shoe would be tight, but all of the icing is working and I have very little swelling.

Day 66: Sometimes to go forward, you need to go backwards

So, I have been trying to walk without the use of any aids - cane, walker, or boot.

I found myself limping a little more than I would like. I found this video on dealing with a limp post-surgery. The video stresses not having the limp become a habit. The best way to manage the process is to go back to the last process that worked without a limp, then strengthen and move on again.

I ended up going back to the walker to get the heel to toe walking motion in my bad ankle. I can now walk correctly with my running shoes on, but I still use the walker when I am barefoot.

I was also given the okay today to ditch my boot when I leave the house. Since starting to put weight on my left foot, I have not felt any weakness in my leg, foot or ankle. The boot is just a little more added security and I can move at normal speeds which I cannot yet without it. I will probably try really short trips without the boot and see how it goes.


Day 73: Walking for real!!

I spent the weekend putting together a closet organization system. I did it barefoot and didn't put on shoes all weekend. Yes, it was a hermit weekend!

When I put on my shoes this morning to go to PT, I was walking without a limp. I do need to focus on my movement, but I don't need my cane anymore.

I still have a month before my hardware removal surgery and I want to be as strong as possible to make sure I recover quickly.

Day 107: Hardware Removal Surgery and Arthroscopic Scar Tissue Removal

Today all of the screws and plates were removed from my ankle. 



Since I was already on the operating table, my surgeon also did some arthroscopic scar tissue removal from the front of my ankle joint. At physical therapy, my ankle flexion has been impeded by the scar tissue. The PT would have eventually been able to break it all down, but this will speed up the process.


The ankle is covered with a soft dressing and I will be back on my scooter for the next 2 weeks. I can put some weight on the leg, but I am going to try to stay off of it as much as possible. I took my boot with me to the hospital, but they put me in a little foot brace instead.

Thankfully, I don't need to be Toes over Nose for 2 weeks like the first surgery. That was rough! The bulk of this recovery is aimed at the incision rather than the ankle itself.

I can also return to PT in two weeks. Hopefully, I can get back up to speed quickly. The surgeon says I shouldn't be doing any ankle exercises until the incision heals - don't want a messed up scar!! I can wiggle my toes, though.

I am looking for a full recovery in about another 3 months since I want to successfully return to playing tennis.

Day 154: 10,000 Steps Again!

After 5 months, I am finally able to walk normally again. My range of motion still leaves something to be desired - no sports yet, just walking.







Day 163: First Day Back on the Court

I hit tennis balls for around 30 minutes today! After a few strokes, I realized that my ankle is as strong as ever. The muscles surrounding my ankle are still stiff, but I felt no pain. I thought I would be more tentative and afraid, but surprisingly, I felt really comfortable moving around the court. Not chasing balls down like I used to, but I will get there!




Day 207: Last Day of PT

I have finished physical therapy! My PT says there is nothing more they can do for me there. They gave me a bunch of exercises to continue doing at home and said that I needed to push myself on the tennis court to get the full range of motion back.

Day 234: Almost back to pre-break

I am back to all my regular activities and have been playing tennis 2-3 times a week. I will play my first competitive match in two weeks.

THE END!!!!

Comments